Sunday, February 03, 2008

Wrestling with grammar

This semester I'm taking an undergraduate class. It's a bit funny to be a student again, worried about getting my homework done on time and trying to remember the professor's name, when I was just on the other side of the desk. I'm taking, for fun, a German class. It's quite lovely to speak the language again, but it's been over ten years since I used it, and I'm having to really reach into my head and scrape out the words from the dusty corners of my memory. So far I've been relieved to discover that I can understand pretty much everything the professor says (even her jokes, which I consider quite an accomplishment). However, my grammar has suffered tremendously from rust. I got back my first homework, which was neatly labeled "A for content" but contained dozens of small pencil marks correcting my many grammar mistakes. I guess I should see this as a wonderful opportunity to improve myself?

3 comments:

alexis said...

you work in academia and take a class for fun. grading homework must be what you do for a hobby?

Anonymous said...

As the years go by the grammar becomes a lot less important to you than just being able to order a cup of coffee.

stef said...

Wow, I had no idea it had been so long!