Thursday, February 14, 2008

Four and Twenty Blackbirds, baked in a pie...

I baked two pies last night, but no birds were harmed in their making. I am marrying a pie-ophile, and (sadly for him) I'm not overly fond of pies. It seems, however, that I must learn if I am to make the English boy happy. Below is a snap of last night's attempt - a tofu and veggie pie, with lots of gravy. It was followed by the first apple pie I've ever made. I'm told it was good, but I didn't have any, so I'll have to trust Andrew. (It can't be that bad - he ate half within twelve hours.)

5 comments:

alexis said...

oh, renee - noooooo! Pie and tofu should never mix. There are so many delicious things that can be done with both mediums. I have always felt the substitution of tofu should be done with extreme caution. It has a very particular texture unlike anything else. It does not therefore go unnoticed. Perhaps cheese or just some protein on the side instead?

There, I've said it. Hope we can still be friends!

stef said...

I'm with AinA on the tofu pie. what about that spinach one I made? W/O the bacon it would be 100% veggie.
Also- how do you not even TASTE apple pie?

Bernice said...

I guess Julia's recipe book would be of much help with a recipe for a vegetarian pie. I'm sure it was much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Not like pie! Oh my! Oh dear daughters, I suspect that we must whisk this girl away to some motel room (preferably with a kitchenette) and conduct some sort of intervention. Not like pie - what does one have with one's coffee for dessert?

Anonymous said...

a friend said...
Pie, pie and more pie! He might like pie but he still has to fit into his wedding suit in August.