Monday, May 12, 2008

The bright lights of the city

On Friday, Andrew and I spent our date night doing three things: eating homemade gnocci (which he adored), thrift shopping for new T-shirts for him (which he hated), and visiting the National Cathedral (which he grudgingly enjoyed).

This weekend, the National Cathedral was lit by various slides designed by Gerry Hofstetter. I think he's lit a lot of monuments this way, although this was the first he had done in the US. Although it's the kind of thing that makes cynics say, "And that counts as art?", it was a lot of fun to just stand and watch with dozens of other people as the slides slowly changed. I've included a photo from the National Cathedral's website to better show what my words are failing to describe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - Awesome. I love going to churches. Even though I've seen a zillion of them. Oddly enough I've never been to the Washington Cathedral in spite of having lived almost 20 years in the area!

stef said...

Oh I love it. It seems like it would be a fun communal art experience

alexis said...

I love those light shows! I remember one in the cathedral in Strassebourg back when I was first living in France as a student. Colorful, shiny lights are always good, whether on a TV or a building. :)