Thursday, May 22, 2008

Next to Godliness

It gives me such a thrill to have a tidy, well-organized environment. And if you can find enjoyment in an activity that doesn't involve drugs (mmm, Merlot) or spending money, then it's my opinion that this pursuit should be encouraged. Andrew, I'm afraid, does not get this some thrill, and when I start organizing he generally flings himself over his belongings in an (often) vain attempt to protect them from my purging.
As a break/reward for my writing thus far today, I just tidied my desk. This also included the introduction of a new file cabinet for the rapidly growing collection of research papers I've read. Now a lot of things that were right out in the open, offending my eyes, are tucked away neatly, and I'm basking in the shine of newly dusted shelves.

6 comments:

alexis said...

that is very sage advice. I myself espouse the Roaming Pile form of organization, wherein I stack papers into large piles with no indication whatsoever as to why they belong together, then stack them all onto each other anyways and forget two days later why I did it to begin with.

Anonymous said...

My office awaits the opportunity to give you peace of mind. Currently items are located on it by the use of archaeological dig methodology where we set up a grid, then dig down until we think we're at the appropriate historical strata

stef said...

Urm yes. Somehow the organization gene did not seem to reach me either.

Anonymous said...

You have to let Andrew win sometimes.
Blame his organisational tendencies on his mother. I have it first hand that filing papers, putting things away in their proper place and other such habits throw the random system that works for ninety-nine percent of the time!
U.K. a friend

Matty Lau said...

The voice of the dissertation angel warns: !s organizational-ness a form of procrastination from writing on your dissertation (or proposal)?
^ ^
O
(that was my attempt at raising the eyebrows)

I am glad that you finished your writing and that you could celebrate with some good clean fun.

astrobassist said...

...and cleaning is a great way to stick it to the second law of thermodynamics.