Sunday, May 25, 2008

Summer is here

For my two non-American readers, Memorial Day weekend is considered the start of summer. And it feels like summer in DC this weekend.

Every Saturday from May to November we climb out of bed and head to the farmer's market. We buy the veggies we need for the week, and I always get a bouquet of flowers there because the flower lady sells the delicate, not-bred-for-commercial-sales flowers that you can't get anywhere else. This week there were peonies.

Another Saturday tradition is listening to a Prairie Home Companion, a radio variety show. Yesterday we went to hear a live performance, because sometimes they take the show on the road. The performance took place in an outdoor amphitheater and we picniced beforehand on cheeses and homemade bread and strawberries and Cointreau (one of my newest food obsessions). The weather was perfect (which of course shows that it's not really summer in DC, because that would mean humidity approaching 100%), the beer was cold, and the impressions of McCain and Clinton were spot-on.

Hope you're all having a great weekend too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know how to organise your weekends - It's good that you listen to radio programmes. It will be a while before the peonies are in flower in the UK - In our UK garden we have lots of flowers but not peonies. The honey suckle and the foxgloves are at their best at the moment.

UK a friend

alexis said...

that sounds like a beautiful weekend!!! I love going to live recordings of radio shows.

Anonymous said...

The two weeks of the year on the East Coast between wet/cold and hot/humid are always to be savored...and why not with beer and Contreau?

stef said...

beautiful flowers! I used to not be able to stand Garrison Keeler. But when Miss D was little and husband would work the weekend evenings i listened to the show just to keep me sane- and it grew on me. I don't listen to it regularly but I happened to catch a little bit this week in the car. I didn't realize where they were taping! it must have been fun to see it live.

Paul Sears said...

I love PHC! I used to listen to that every saturday in college when I was delivering pizzas back home in Iowa. I still haven't seen him live though - just missed him last year when he was at the Hollywood Bowl.

astrobassist said...

great show...I once saw a live broadcast of The Grand Ol' Opry in Nashville. I actually stayed at the Grand Ol' Opry Hotel, which I believe may be the largest hotel in the world. In the middle of the hotel, it has a glass-ed in city, full with trees, birds, a river, fish, and a riverboat. I learned the hard way that the locals don't take kindly to swimming in the river.