Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Computer woes

Last month I completed a very boring data entry job. I had pages and pages of notes on what I've read over the past few years: summaries, citations, etc. There are various programs that exist to help academics organize this kind of notes, with the added bonus of quickly generating bibliographies while you write. I didn't exactly enjoy the 15 hours I spent putting all these notes into new program, but it was a break from the thinking kind of work I normally do, and I hope that I have entered into a new, more productive era of literature reviews. 

In other computer news, there's some nasty virus going around the computer world. Apparently my desktop socializes more than I realize, and it got sick last week. The computer geeks scanned, and tweaked, and cleansed until they pronounced it all good. And then this week, again, my computer wouldn't boot, and they declared it dead. There was nothing left to do but wipe it clean, and I assured them that I had backed up everything in January. So they erased. 

Then I remembered all those little citations and notes that I had carefully entered, right after I backed up the computer. And suddenly they were all just a memory. So now I get to do it all again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crap - that is soooo frustrating. A curse on the virus writers.

alexis said...

oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are so calm about it - very zen of you. :)

stef said...

Doh!

Gill - UK said...

My address book was wiped last week and everyone on it received an e mail purporting to have been sent on my recommendation - well it wasn't and I just hope that no-one who received the email clicked on the link. Apologies to all who received.