Monday, March 30, 2009

Foiled again...

...by America's puritanical leanings. Some friends and I are organizing a camping trip. Our requirements: a place to have a campfire, space to hike, and the right to drink wine with dinner. That last one is doing us in. It seems that state parks up and down the East Coast (and maybe in the rest of the country, too, although we hadn't really considered driving from DC to Colorado for a weekend of camping) have been banning alcohol at their campsites. I understand their concerns about rowdy drunks, but I'm frustrated that once again there's little room for reasonable alcohol consumption in public. I have a drink every night with dinner, and it's become an accepted part of the meal for me. It's like they banned bread at state parks. Sure, I could plan meals to only feature potatoes and rice, but why?

In happier news, Andrew now has his motorcycle license. My family is so proud. For them, this is a bigger sign that he's joined the family than that silly marriage ceremony.

6 comments:

Rachel Scherr said...

I recommend Three Thieves Bandit wine - it's good wine, and because it comes in a one-liter juice-box type carton, no one will ever suspect! I was recently served this at a preschool birthday party held in a public park...

unclem-nm said...

Paper bags - putting wine in other containers - all kinds of ways to get around the law.

alexis said...

I think that is the spirit of the law. be reasonable in consumption and modest in showing it off.

stef said...

I am with the other commentors. plenty of ways around the law. Unless you are being rowdy, I doubt the rangers are going to come by and inspect your campsite for contraband.

Anonymous said...

Normally I might be more blase, but on our last camping trip we tried the discreet drinking thing, and some of us were busted. And those fines are BIG.

Gill - UK said...

Which silly marriage ceremony are we talking about?