Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Extreme libraries for extreme researchers

I've had to research at two high-security libraries lately: one, on my campus, has a lot of archival material to protect, and the other is the Library of Congress. In this day and age of downloading articles instantly, I find it can be an entertaining experience to trek to an actual library. My enjoyment of it is directly related to how much patience I've allotted for the endeavor. At both of these libraries I had stow all of my belongings, even my purse, in a locker and then sign in. The campus library allowed me to select my own book off the shelf, but I had to sign out the book before I was allowed to look at it at a table. I knew better than to even dream of asking to check it out.

The Library of Congress, though, is tops in all security measures. I had to go through a metal detector and have my bag X-rayed before I could enter the building. Then I had to apply for a photo ID library card than would allow me to enter the library. (An aside: there were signs all over the application desk admonishing people that cards were only for researchers, and were not souvenirs. That some people would consider these souvenirs demonstrates the insane level of government-wonkiness that DC attracts.) After finding the appropriate library, I filled out the slips requesting my journals and they were delivered to me within an hour. Upon leaving, I had to collect my purse and go through the exit, where my purse was again inspected even though it had to be checked before I was allowed into the library.

After all that, they didn't even have the journals I wanted.

5 comments:

unclem-nm said...

I have never been in the Library of Congress - cool.

astrobassist said...

What in heck is a "library"?

stef said...

Wow that is really interesting. Knowledge is powerful!

alexis said...

I think we went into the library but just on a tour - it looked very top security!!

Matty Lau said...

I heard there is a library in NYC that has conveyor belts that brings the books from deep within the bowels of the building to you. I personally have never been to it but it makes me think of Gringotts in Harry Potter's world. Maybe you should consider going there for the experience. :)