Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Should I make it or buy it?

I make a lot of things from scratch. There are some items that we just never buy at the store anymore: bread, cat food, cookies, paneer, salad dressing, and canned beans among them. Some food I make because it's cheaper - good bread is expensive, and the good bakeries are on the other side of the city. Some food I make because it's better - the cat food my cat eats is made from real meat. Some things I know I'll keep preparing even when I have more money. For example, preparing dried beans is orders of magnitude cheaper than canned beans, and now that I have a freezer, I can freeze a bunch in can-sized portions for later.

But I have wondered whether I'd keep doing all of this if I start earning a little more. The cat food will go, for sure. I'm looking forward to the day when I can pay a small fortune for organic, meat-based cat food and give up the smell of well-boiled meat (which is a rare and unwelcome scent in our vegetarian kitchen). And the olive curing was a one-time event: even though it was much cheaper, we got tired of eating the same kind of olives all year.

I just read a good article on Slate that compared the cost and results of five things you can make or buy. I'm happy to see that the author agrees with my assessment that making yogurt is worth it. In the end, I think the answer to the question of what to make or buy is personal. You have to enjoy spending that time in the kitchen and you have to decide if you care that much about the particular food you're slaving over. But it is nice to know that I'm not blowing the budget by cooking at home. And I'll be trying bagels soon - fifteen cents versus a dollar is just too good to pass up.

4 comments:

unclem-nm said...

Quality is a big issue. Some things are just better made yourself. On the other hand some things are better made by the pros.

Time is a big issue. If one has the time, it makes sense to make things oneself. But if one doesn't have the time or your time can make more money than you could saving making things yourself, then you have to think about it.

stef said...

I agree with Dad on the time issue. There are lots of things I'd prefer to do on my own but find it hard to make time. (Such as bread making) But do try your own bagels, as they are well worth the effort. This is one recipe i don't recommend in the King Arthur Flour book though. I've used this one multiple times to great results: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/recipes/bagels

(If you have never checked that site before- it is an awesome bread resource!)

alexis said...

I would also add space. I have a freezer the size of a dictionary. I don't have a car to haul big salvaged items or bulk food. I admit I get defensive now about the whole subject of penny pinching. Strange since I was such a devotee only a few years ago!

alexis said...

ah yes, and I don't have an oven. lol!