Saturday, March 14, 2009

Serendipity

Today I had the tremendous luck of finding something that I didn't even know I needed until I had it. Usually such a discovery would have been carefully planned by the R&D gurus at apple, but my good fortune occurred at the public library. Some background: I'm taking a course this semester, my very last required course ever, on the philosophy of quantum mechanics. So far I've understood most of the concepts, mainly because we've been discussing the quantum mechanics part of it. But I've seen the philosophy discussions looming on the horizon, and I'm a wee bit worried that at some point I'll no longer understand the lectures. While I should go to the school library and check out some dry tome on philosophy, I had avoided it thus far. But today, while I was waiting in line to check out my books at the public library, there was a display of new books. One of the featured books (which mainly concerned themselves with taxes or the economy), was a book written on precisely the philosophical topic we're discussing this semester. And it's written for the general public, which means it's readable and understandable. I'm so happy about my good fortune that I've resolved the read the entire book this weekend.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Serendipity has been the major benefactor of my life - it should be honored always.

Ellie said...

Moral I take from this story - I should spend less time worrying about what is going to happen in the future and more time at the public library!

alexis said...

wow that is fantastic! I think if the library had more English books I'd go more often.

stef said...

That is exciting! hooray for laymans science books

Bernice said...

Is this a book I would enjoy? Or should read to be able to have an intelligent conversation with my daughter or son-in-law?