Monday, March 09, 2009

I must admit I'm a bit tired of looking at my computer

This weekend was my first writing retreat. I have a friend in Philly who's also trying to work on her dissertation (although she's a bit further along than me), and we've decided to spend about a weekend a month at our very own writing retreats. This time I drove up there on Friday night and we had a terrific evening catching up. Then we worked all day Saturday and all day Sunday. I wrote the most I've ever written in one day, I think. And it's nice to have a buddy working nearby: you know you can't stop working because someone will notice, and you have someone to decompress with at the end of the day.

(I must admit, though, that the real reason I go to Philadelphia as often as I do is the gelato store that is a half-hour walk from my friends' house. This time we had orange-cardamom and bittersweet chocolate.)

5 comments:

Bernice said...

Did you walk to get your treat? You probably needed to stretch at that point. I need to find someone to work with me like that. What a motivator.

Anonymous said...

Yup, we walked for 1-2 hours each day. I was so desperate to get out of the house and away from my work during the breaks that I didn't even mind that I was exercising.

alexis said...

what a fantastic idea!

stef said...

I love this idea. And it sounds very productive!

Ellie said...

I'm so glad this worked out. I think it could have gone either way given your buddy - there's always the danger that having a buddy there will encourage me to just chat more and work less. Good Job!!