Tuesday, November 03, 2009

All alone (and loving it)

I'm alone at home this week, because my husband is off at a conference. I like being married very much, but I also love being alone. I'm really enjoying this week. I don't have to tidy up after anyone. There's half as much cooking to be done. (In fact, less that half, because Andrew eats almost twice as much as I do.) And I've got enough social events scheduled during the next seven days that I'm not in danger of going days without talking to another human being.

My enjoyment is bittersweet, however, because I also know that soon I'll be reveling in alone-ness all the time, and then it won't be quite so great. It appears likely that when I graduate and get a job (We're assuming at this point that I will get a job) that I will move somewhere new and leave Andrew here. Then we'll probably live apart for one or two years. He wants to finish his PhD (a goal I support) and I want a postdoc (a goal he supports). It's not a situation either of us wanted, but we don't want the alternatives (where one of us significantly delays or alters our professional goals) either.

So next year I expect to be buying a lot of airline tickets

3 comments:

stef said...

Oh dear. Such hard decisions. I certainly don't envy you. :(

unclem-nm said...

It happens. Think of only a century or so ago when people emigrated leaving all their family behind until they could bring them over...hell that happens even today like those married to those in the military.

Not the ideal but you are very solid people.

alexis said...

oh no!!! I also don't envy you, but hopefully you'll both stay in the US so at least that will keep flights down? And if you stay on the east coast maybe you can also use the train.