Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Strauss and soup

Can you bear yet another picture of me in yet another hat? This one is posted particularly for my friend, who loaned me the stole. (Yes, it's real fur. No, I don't mind wearing that. This stole was inherited by my friend from her mother-in-law, so those little creatures, whatever they were, died long before I was born.)

Having such a nice wrap gives me an excuse to go nice places, so we saw an opera at the Kennedy Center last weekend. That was where I learned that there are two different composers named Strauss. Johann did the waltzes, and Richard was modern, and among other things, composed the opera which we saw. I think I like Johann a bit better, but I probably shouldn't admit that, because I imagine it's hipper to like modern operas.

*****
In other news, I made (fake) chicken and dumpling soup tonight for dinner. I haven't eaten it in years, but suddenly it sounded like the best thing we could be eating. I have a special place in my heart for chicken and dumpling soup, which was one of the very first dishes I made (mostly) by myself. I was only eight, so I was still eating meat. I cut up the chicken and the vegetables, and made them into soup. The dumplings were made from Bisquick, and when I served it for dinner I was so very proud of myself. My father was careful to exclaim over how good it was, and then after he finished his bowl, he said, "That was great. What's the next course?" I was devastated! I was so proud of making one dish, but he expected more. This was just a momentary slip in my father's normally stellar parenting, so I like to tease him about it as much as possible.

5 comments:

Michael Wittmann said...

Which opera did you see? Rosenkavalier? That's my mom's favorite, and I always regret never seeing it in the year I lived in Vienna and went to a ton of operas.

As to the chicken and dumpling soup, yeah, dumplings. Yummy. Do you know how to make good Griesknockerln in this country? Gotta figure that out someday. The girls loooove the soup and I would earn way huge brownie points for knowing how to make it...

alexis said...

ooo very styling indeed! you will need to help my mom with the hat department for the wedding for sure.

Anonymous said...

Michael: (1) Ariadne auf Naxos. (2) I made Griesknocklern once, when I lived in Australia. Semolina wasn't common there, but I used Cream of Wheat, and it worked well.

de-I said...

One need not be hip to enjoy great music.

Matty Lau said...

You have inspired me to dress up more on a regular basis (this opera outfit and the plaid skirt). :)