Saturday, November 28, 2009

We have a cat visiting us. Switters is a lovely, peaceful cat, who happens to weigh twice as much as my cat. There have been a series of small skirmishes and strategic maneuverings all week. This photo demonstrates the size differential and Phi's preferred interaction, the offensive hiss.
Lately I've been skipping the gym and walking outside instead. We live near a lake that has paved paths, and is filled with ducks, geese, and the occasional beaver. (Presumably the beavers are there all the time, and we just occasionally see them.)

To make our walks slightly more vigorous, we carry weights. Until I borrowed the weights you see in the picture below, I was using cans of beans. That was convenient and low-cost, and people we passed started to recognize me as the woman with the canned goods. Unfortunately, I would sometimes eat the beans and forget to replace them, so the hand weights are appreciated.
Even though the leaves are off most of the trees, it's still a peaceful way to start my day.
In other news, we are hosting three parties in three weeks. Yikes. At first I was sort of freaked out by this turn of events - two holidays celebrations fell close together, and then it turned out that Andrew had offered to throw an additional party. But I'm trying to remember that I love the holiday season. Although I pack a lot in, it's all stuff I enjoy doing. If I start seeing these activities as chores, then the whole point of doing them is lost.

6 comments:

alexis said...

wow, is it still that warm out that you can walk without jackets?

and, I love that you tend to eat your weights. I know I'd be too tempted to do that myself!

Rachel Scherr said...

I was nervous about hosting Thanksgiving, so I made myself a timetable in Excel for all the prep that needed to happen. It started four days in advance! That way the day itself was pretty chill. I bet this would suit you (if you are not doing it already).

unclem-nm said...

When did all this working out and doing stuff with weights happen? I thought you were the person who took a life long vow against sweat?

Gill - UK said...

What has happened to the pact you made with another couple - that the first couple to miss their gym session had to treat the other couple - was it a theatre visit?

Anonymous said...

Gill - the bet is still on, although we all seem to have established the habit now, so I think about it less.

Rachel - The timetable is an excellent idea. I do usually make one, although I just scribble it on scrap paper.

Uncle-nm - The working out started in earnest during graduate school, when I figured out that exercise made my chronic neck pain go away. I still try to avoid sweat as much as possible. (You have a good memory.)

Gill - UK said...

Do you mean you 'power walk'AND go to the gym - the one activity doesn't replace the other? I'm impressed.