Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Food for a celebration!

Tomorrow my marriage goes from part-time to full-time again, because Andrew is moving to Miami. What would you do in preparation of such a momentous occasion? I cook. After all, my husband has been eating pasta with jarred tomato sauce and tofu for the past year; he deserves a good meal.

I decided to make something I'd never made before - lasagna with homemade noodles. Lasagna is already so much work, with the cooking of the tomato sauce, the making of the bechamel sauce, and the assembling of the lasagna, that I can never summon the energy. But this time I decided to buy myself a bit of time by using ricotta instead of bechamel. Plus, I have this new toy that makes noodle creation much easier, three pasta attachments for the Kitchen Aid mixer. I can't make noodles much faster than I could with my hand-cranked pasta maker, but it does take much less physical effort.
I had some of the lasagna tonight. I was surprised that using homemade noodles didn't radically change the lasagna, because homemade fettuccine is orders of magnitude better than dry fettuccine. But by making the noodles myself, I was able to make the much thinner than store bought, allowing for more delicate layers. The lasagna pictured, although only about an inch and a half thick, is six layers.

As an aside, when I tell people that my husband will be moving in this week, most of them have been very excited for me. At my dance class (Did I mention I've started taking a dance class?), the reception was rather subdued, and we moved on to other topics. Later one women mentioned that her husband works on a ship (and so is away from home for months at a time) and the other has a husband who runs a business in India. He just returned for a visit after being a way for two years. No wonder they weren't impressed by my paltry one-year separation.

5 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Andrew will appreciate all the love and skill that goes into the special celebration meal - happy for both of you to know that the long year is over.

alexis said...

omg, no you didn't say you were taking a dance class! What sort of dance?

Damn, I can't believe you got 6 layers in 1,5 inches - I bet that did taste very nice!

And no matter what your dance friends say, a year in this day and age is a long time to be separated. Though my heart goes out to them that they have to wait even longer. :(

Bernice said...

It is a great reminder not to take anything for granted. I am so grateful that my husband comes home every night.

Shaela said...

We're so excited for you to have Andrew back, although he'll be missed here.
I've never thought about the difference in delicacy between homemade and store-bought lasagna noodles, but they sound delicious! And less stressful - N takes broken lasagna noodles very seriously.

unclem-nm said...

None the less it is wonderful that your separation is over.

And I totally agree with the assessment of the homemade lasagna noodles. After making them myself and finding how great the light homemade ones came out, I would not go back to doing it with bought ones.