Sunday, April 03, 2011

Travel

I'm only one day into my latest conference and I can tell that I'm just burned out a little. I like travel in moderation, but my current schedule is too much for me: six conferences in six months, plus three other trips. Conferences are only nominally about formally presenting research; they are also about getting informal feedback on your research, telling people about your new wild and crazy ideas, and hearing about what everyone else is doing. I'm thinking about ways to scale back my expectations for this event, because I have upcoming conferences that I think will be more important.

If I wanted to complain about my crazy travel schedule to my husband, though, I'm not sure I'd get a lot of sympathy. Once he's done with his dissertation defense and moving to Miami, he's embarking on extensive tour of America. It combines his graduation, a trip with his parents to Ohio and Toronto, then a family reunion. All in all, he'll travel 4500 miles (that's 7200 kilometers) in three weeks, divided between a rental car and a motorcycle.

This is what the route looks like:



Größere Kartenansicht

3 comments:

gill uk said...

it's a good job your huband likes driving.

alexis said...

good lord! make sure he takes photos at least along the way.

unclem-nm said...

Do you always do your map planning in German?