Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Unintended knowledge

The vacuuming and chemical applications continue unabated. The cat has been banished to the bathroom for the week so that the attacks of the fleas on the furniture and the fleas on the cat can take place on separate fronts.

In the meantime, I am grateful for any distractions, so let me pose a question to all of you. A coworker recently remarked that my extensive knowledge of all things motorcycle related seemed incongruent with the rest of my interests. It's true, and I think it is an accident due to my upbringing. If you were hauled to years of motorcycle races and treated to decades of discussions of motorcycle purchases, trades, and repairs; and if you too had relatives who requested motorcycle cameras, motorcycle underwear (yes, it exists), and motorcycle armored jackets, you too would know a lot about motorcycles. I did my best to avoid learning: I spent many weekends reading in a tent or pop-up camper, while my mother, father, and brother all competed in trials motorcycle races.

So my question to you is: what subject do you have knowledge about, simply due to the family you born into, or the people that were born into yours?

3 comments:

alexis said...

LOL! I totally assumed the underpants were normal but themed.

I think the things I was exposed to as a child I ended up liking for the most part: cooking, sewing, small business consulting..

Gill - UK said...

Call it the Leonardo tendency - ask your co-worker - Do areas of interest and knowledge have to be congruent? (or why do...).
I think i know a little about lots of different areas of knowledge and I blame it on the presence of the set of Arthur Mee's Encyclopaedias that were part of my childhood.
One statement that stands out in my memory is 'Man may never stand on the Moon...etc' - I have reviewed some of the facts I read.
PS - this comment is a distraction activity from some studying I am finding tedious.

unclem-nm said...

I think the thing that I picked up that was the least congruent would relate to science and engineering since those were the areas of my father's expertise.

However, I don't have a disliking for them rather a lack of talent for them.