Saturday, April 02, 2011

Summer is here

I am loathe to admit it, but I think summer has arrived in Miami. I know that those of you still in the grips of cold wet rain, or even snow, can not sympathize with my sinking feelings, but they're still there. Somehow, I think I had associated hurricane season (June-November) with summer, and so I had expected the dry season to last for another month. But all the signs are present: I've had the air conditioner on every night, and the almost daily downpours have begun.

Today, I'm headed to Orlando for a conference. It's not going to be any cooler there, but since we'll probably never emerge from the climate-controlled conference center, it probably doesn't matter much. I expect this conference to be low-key; I don't have many responsibilities, and it's a new conference for me (science teachers instead of physicists or physics teachers) so my goal is simply to better understand the kind of research that's done in this field.

In other news, Andrew defends on Thursday. I can't be there, but my parents are driving from Ohio to attend, so he'll have ample family support. I'm sure it will all go well, but keep your fingers crossed for him.

1 comment:

alexis said...

oh my god - how awesome that your folks are going down to support their SIL!! Fingers crossed this Thursday that all goes well.

As for the heat and wet - well, I can definitely sympathize with the wet part at least. How long do the downpours last for usually?