Saturday, July 23, 2011

How many of me?

I was taking a break from a day-long cook-a-thon (pictures tomorrow, I promise), when I saw this website: http://ww2.howmanyofme.com/.

It uses census data from 2000 to tell you how many people in the U.S. have your name. There's a grand total of 1 of me, although there are at least 308 people in the U.S. have my husband's combination of first and last name. The fun part of my situation is that there's never any doubt who authored my papers. The not-so-fun part is that every time I'm asked to give my name on the phone, I have to stifle a little groan. It's guaranteed that I'll have to spell every name, usually twice. And then (unless it's legally binding) I'll just go along with whatever the caller thinks I said. Last week someone put an 'f' in my last name.

5 comments:

Bernice said...

There is only one with my name also.You are in good company.

Shaela said...

There are fewer than 116 people in the US with my (married) last name, an order of magnitude fewer than the number of people named Shaela!

Gill - UK said...

As we are not citizens of the USA I don't suppose the site really applies. However, There are only three females with my name in the USA (0.01% having my first name are male! - parents can be so cruel)When it comes to F, there are 333 with his name - two orders of magnitude greater!
The site could become addictive.

unclem-nm said...

Hmmmm there are also 116 people with my last name as well...seems like an odd coincidence.

alexis said...

I'm not too worried about it, but it's nice to have a tool now if I want to double check how many people in the US at least will share Squidette's name.