Friday, July 08, 2011

How do you make cat socks?

I need some engineering and design help. You may recall that Phi the cat, suffering from an eye injury, has been exploring the finer points of haberdashery with her cone:

She's been stuck in this cone for two months, and I feel terrible about it. She's so much happier without it, when she can bathe and run around and eat out of a bowl. But in order to take it off permanently, I need to prevent her from scratching her eye. She only has claws on the back paws, so I made her these socks:

The socks are made of tube sock material, and I sewed some extra elastic around the tops. She can't shake them off, but they only stay on a few hours before she pulls out of them. Does anyone have any ideas? Should I tape on the socks? Dip her feet in rubber? All suggestions are welcomed, short of stuffing her. We're rather fond of Phi.

4 comments:

Shawn said...

Great idea! I am sure she will be much happier with the socks then the cone.

The only think I can think of is some sort of garter belt type of thing that doesn't let the socks fall down. Almost like a belt with strings going down to the socks. She is probably to flexible to actually make it work, but might be worth a try.

unclem-nm said...

If you're going to use Shawn's garter idea, I hope they will be lace at least. Once you took the 'stuffing her' idea off the table, I was pretty much at a loss.

alexis said...

oh what a good idea! Actually our cat has recently been doing the same thing - scratching not her eye but behind her ear to the point of creating a sore. I have to take her to the vet shortly and will ask about it. Somehow though I think if I try socks cold turkey I am not going to make her very happy.

Shaela said...

do you suppose she thinks you devise these things just to torture her?

i'd go with cat pants before i'd make poor phi strut around in her unmentionables.

what do you do when she uses the litter box? do the socks get dirty? wet?