Tuesday, July 05, 2011

New wheels

The fish-mobile (otherwise known as a '95 Ford station wagon) has been making some funny noises lately. I had always hoped that it would get us through graduate school, and now that Andrew and I are both graduated and gainfully employed, I decided I couldn't ask for much more. Andrew could have kept repairing it, but the allure of a more fun, more reliable car was too great for me to ignore.
We used the long Fourth of July weekend to go new(er)-car shopping. It was a draining experience for me, because I am loath to part with money. You can call me frugal or you can call me a cheapskate, but even though I wanted to treat myself to a car, I was scared by the actual amount of money that I'd be required to part with. I take after my parents - you may recall that it took them ten years to buy a house, while a furnace purchasetook two years. In exasperation, my husband declared that if everyone was like me (and my family), the entire world economy would collapse. Which is true, but the garage sale economy would skyrocket.
Eventually, though, we made a decision. The fish station wagon is gone to a (better?) place, and we've got a new (to us) car:
I think it's just the car for a childless couple in Miami.

11 comments:

Bernice said...

Yes, yes, yes. You got it. Andrew looks so happy. Congrats.

CC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matty Lau said...

That is great! A nice combination of your style and Miami (the convertible is a very nice touch).
Will you be putting adornments on this one too?

Gill - UK said...

Super car - make sure you lock it!

Anonymous said...

nice cars..
I really like your site. Will keep checking back here..


Wheels Miami

alexis said...

I am happy for you guys - hopefully this will mean less entries about being stranded somewhere?

And I share your reluctance to part with money, even for things we need. Sigh!

unclem-nm said...

Good for you with the new car. There does get to a point where the repair frequency just becomes too much of a hassle.

And a special hats of to Andrew for fighting the dark forces of frugality that threaten to undermine world prosperity.

Ellie said...

Love it! I think it really fits. As I was reading through the post I was trying to figure out what car I thought would suit you guys, and then when I saw the picture with Andy I though, "EXACTLY!". Very nice.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Ellie, I love it that we've met your expectations!

To Matty: we're going to hold off on a new paint jobs for a few years, and enjoy the original color first.

Pulisha said...

Love it! :)

Dante Mallet said...

Oh, your decision to buy a new car is something good for you and your family, in the long run. It simply makes traveling a lot more convenient and it takes away all the hassle. An old car needs some restoration to make it look new, but there will come a time when you'll need to give your car its well-deserved rest. It's a good thing that you've already given your car his. He deserves it. And oh, don't forget to enjoy your new car!