Friday, July 29, 2011

Places I've been: Mountain Lake, Minnesota

My mother grew up near the small town of Mountain Lake, Minnesota (population 2,104). My father was more of a big city boy, living near Windom (population 4600). I don't get a chance to visit very often; this June was the first time since Andrew and I met that I've been to visit. Mountain Lake is misnamed slightly: it has a mountain (although you'd only call it one if you lived in the Plains) and it has a lake, but they're not near each other. And the only reason it now has a lake is because the town used a Works Progress Administration project (during the Depression) to dam a river and make a lake.
My mother has six brothers and sisters who live within driving distance of Mountain Lake, and I got to see them all. (It turns out some of them have been secretly reading my blog, too!) When I imagine living in Mountain Lake, I can see how different my life would be. I'd have to have a different job - there are no physicist jobs around. I'd have to have a different religion, or at least stop going to my type of church - most of the churches are Mennonite, as all of my ancestors were. And I'd have to eat different food - there were no veggies burgers in town. But there would be rewards as well. Many of the houses are built in the early and mid 1900's; they are surrounded by large trees and set near the street. It's easy to walk around town, and it's surprising how often I bump into an uncle or two when I'm wandering around.
And as a matter of fact, I'm headed back there this weekend. I have a conference in Omaha, Nebraska next week, which puts me only four hours' drive away from my grandmother and her 90th birthday party. I'm supposed to be a surprise visitor, because I had already said I wouldn't come before I realized how close I would be. But I don't think this post will ruin the surprise - my grandmother does not know how to work a computer.

So, while I'm gone, some other impressions of southwest Minnesota:
Since I've last been there, they went and got all modern: there are wind farms everywhere.
The good ole Green Giant in Blue earth - we used to visit him on our way to our grandparents. (For non-Americans, the Green Giant was/is a icon of a brand of frozen and canned vegetables)

5 comments:

Shawn said...

We stopped at the green giant the last time we were in Minn. I just have to have my kids visit it the way I did as a kid. :)

Gill - UK said...

I recognise the green giant from the pictures on cans of sweetcorn - now I know its origin.

Gloria said...

What a pretty picture of the lake. I don't remember it looking pretty. I don't think I ever new the history of the lake. Thanks for the information!

unclem-nm said...

I haven't seen the Green Giant in ages. Say hi to your Mom for me.

alexis said...

I think some of us globe trotters are beginning to feel the pinch of farther away relations as we get older and start having families of our own. Though in my own case, I don't know that we'd ever live in one place. A city where I'd bump into relations seems more of a hopeful wish than anything I've given up. It's great you still have so much family living in the same community to visit, even if it's not very often.