Friday, February 20, 2015

Ambitions

Tomorrow I'll find out if I've bitten off more than I can chew. A friend of mine has started holding "Sewing Days". She sets up an ironing beard, clears off her kitchen table, and brings in extension cords. Several friends come over with our sewing machines and we all work on our own sewing projects in comfortable companionship.
Since I finished my trousers last month, I was looking for a new project, preferably one that to use some extra wool fabric. I'm still a novice seamstress, having only completed two projects. Both of the projects have perhaps been more challenging than necessary, because I didn't use regular patterns. I like vintage clothing, and actual vintage patterns are (a) extremely expensive, (b) rare, and (c) not the same size as modern people are, so I tend to rely on other methods. The apron I made using instructions from a vintage pamphlet and the trousers were based on an old pair that I ripped apart and copied.
This time, I bought a "pattern" which is really a set of instructions to draft your own pattern. That means that they give you a tiny scale drawing and you expand it, based on your measurements. This is a bit tricky. It is made harder by the fact that I've never made a skirt before. And I've never used this scaling system. And the directions are from Australia, so everything is in centimeters. Oh, and the book was originally from France, so the pattern has a smattering of French instructions.

I'll let you know how it goes.

5 comments:

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Good luck RM. That sounds very complicated even to me. But I'm sure your more experienced friends will help you succeed.

alexis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
alexis said...

LMAO, RM, I am so keen to see how it goes!! With your dilligence and patience I bet you will make it a great success. Maybe some swearing along the way though?

Gill - UK said...

Making your own patterns was a skill I was taught many years ago when I studied for dressmaking skills with City and Guilds, a UK exam board. I'm sure you will succeed - you can always make up the pattern in a very cheap fabric to make sure the garment fits before you use the expensive material.

Shaela said...

Are you going to tell everyone about the fold?