Thursday, March 12, 2015

Costly repairs

     I crammed a lot of museum trips into the start of the week so I'd be able to visit a nearby national park today. This park is so close that you can take the tram to it, and it's filled with stunning rock formations. Alas, we had what the Germans call "Scheißwetter" today. I was  willing to brave some cold weather for good scenery, but when they predicted sleet it sounded a while lot less fun.
     Instead, I walked around the city, ate even more torte, and went to a movie. That's the first time I've been inside a movie theater in the past two years; it's just not something I think to do very often. But the movie, based on an Asterix and Obelix comic, is not one that I'm likely to see in America, and I was pretty delighted to have something warm to do that wasn't a museum.
     Waking around Dresden, I'm continually awed by how much money must have been poured into this city. The Old City was mostly destroyed in 1945, and although a few mammoth Soviet-style bunker-like buildings went up, a lot of the rubble just stayed put. After Reunification, the city, like much of the former East, was a huge construction zone. They rebuilt castles, churches, and other public buildings using the original materials in the original style. The baroque Frauenkirche cost close to €200 million alone.If I stop to think about it, most city skyscapes represent billions of dollars. Its just that, in Dresden, all that money was spent in two decades.

4 comments:

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

So March is not the best time of year to go to Germany! It sounds like you are having a good time and seeing a lot of the sights in spite of the weather.

Gill - UK said...

I've just browsed photos of the frauenkirche, and it is so magnificent - more so because it has been rebuilt from the rubble that was left from its destruction.

de-I said...

Asterix and Obelix - There's a literary group that the US is much the poorer for not having been acquainted with. Though I suppose all the plays on words would have been really difficult to translate into English.

We found the same thing true in Asia that some much of the construction was in the last two decades. The cities we were in felt much newer than US cities.

alexis said...

oh man, shame about the weather! You made the best of what happens all the time on holiday