Saturday, March 07, 2015

I'm off

     I have a blogging cousin who never announces when she's on vacation, for fear of alerting nefarious types that her apartment will be unattended (a totally valid concern, A!). I have less fear about that, because when I travel I leave behind a noisy dog and a bunch of neighbors with keys who all come by to check in the animals. In fact, it's possible that my house is more populated when I'm on vacation than otherwise.
     It was almost precisely five years ago that Andrew and I went to Germany. This time will be quite different, of course, since I'm alone. I expect to have a wonderful time, but I also know that there will be times when I miss him much more than usual, since it's my first non-family vacation without him.
     I'm also wondering if I'll come back with any ideas about my life. Frequently, vacations are a time when I can step back from my daily life and think about the bigger picture. Twice I have returned from a vacation or extended trip and broken up with my boyfriend at the time. Other times I've thought more carefully about what direction I'd like my career to take, or where I'd like to live. Maybe I'll come back with big ideas about what I should do next. Or maybe I'll simply come back exhausted from binge-watching dubbed reruns of Columbo*...


*I don't know if it's still the case, but the Germans loved Columbo when I was there. I know his German dubbed voice better than I know his real vice.

4 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Happy holiday.
Did Colombo's German dubbed voice have an American accent?

alexis said...

omg, come and see us while you are in Europe!!

de-I said...

Have a great time and keep posting.

Florin Lung said...

PER Jobs says there is a job there for you.