Sunday, March 15, 2015

Language skills

     I have been alternately delighted with my ability to read and understand spoken German and horrified by my inability to speak. I can't remember noun genders or a lot of vocabulary, and I have a strong accent. If I had a few more weeks, I'm sure I could improve, but for now I'm muddling through. I've been able to watch TV, listen to German audio tours, and generally make my way through day- to-day life.
     When I first arrived, my apartment was very cold. I turned on the radiators, but after six hours, they still weren't warm. I sent an email to the landlady, and early the next morning, I was awoken by the heating repairman. An hour later he was done. He explained what he fixed, and told me to turn the thermostat up higher. Happy with the heat, I thanked the landlady. It turns out, though, that she didn't send him and she didn't think that the heater was broken, just that I didn't know how to use the thermostat.
     I think that if my German were a bit better, I would now know who this guy was, what exactly he fixed, and how he ended up in my apartment. In this case, it's likely to remain a mystery.

8 comments:

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Wow - that could have been really bad. So glad it worked out well and you got your heat.

de-I said...

I agree with Gloria - Wow.

It really is amazing how fast you lose the facility with a language when you don't use it.

Gill - UK said...

Well-known saying -
Use it or lose it

alexis said...

post-scary, better than in the moment scary I'd say.

Unknown said...

Glad to know that! At least you'll now have a heater to keep on with. Stuff like that shouldn't be deprived from anyone, especially in times of chilly weather. Thanks for sharing that, Michelle! All the best to you!

Shelley Coday @ C & C Heating & Air Conditioning

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I think it’s great that you’re able to understand German, even though you were still having problems with the spoken language. Anyway, it’s nice to know that you finally had the heater fixed – if it was even broken in the first place. Haha! Kidding aside, I hope things are doing a lot better for you know. Thanks for sharing!


Tommy Hopkins @ AccuTemp

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.