Tuesday, July 07, 2015

High summer

     I've been busy enjoying a terrific visit from my brother, sister-in-law, and their kids. More to come on the visit in an upcoming post, but here's a taste of how we spent last week. 
     The kids helped me pose for my monthly garden picture. The watermelon and green beans have found their trellises and are rapidly climbing. The whole garden is growing nicely, but it's been wet, wet, wet. We had 13" in June, which is three times our normal amount, and it's rare that a day goes by without rain. It's great that I don't have to water, but nothing will ripen because of the lack of sun. Except the zucchini, of course - nothing stops zucchini. The kids had great fun harvesting what they could - cherry tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, and the garlic I planted last fall. 
     Some days we we skipped sightseeing and just enjoyed hanging out at home, which gave us opportunities for events like an ice cream party. My niece posted invitations all over the apartment and made a piñata, and I made ice cream and chocolate sauce. I highly recommend ice cream parties in July.

5 comments:

Bernice said...

It is neat to see your helpers in the garden photo.

de-I said...

We had record rain this spring too. In may we had 1.9 inches which is three times more than normal. Our monsoon started early too. This is after 5 years of drought. My tomatoes are doing very well. Even as wet as it is, we still have plenty of sun.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Sounds like great fun. So nice to have family visit. And your garden looks wonderful!

alexis said...

It looks VERY wet there. Ugh.

Gill - UK said...

We've had plenty of rain too, and the sun isn't shining enough to ripen the apricots - but the strawberries have done well. Now the pea pods have appeared so I think they will be okay without too much sunshine.
Wish we lived close enough to come to your ice cream party.