Friday, January 13, 2017

Christmas Recap

Here's a quick look back on my Christmas holiday in Ohio before I forget everything. My brother and his family came from California and we all had three days celebration together.
Everyone else rides motor vehicles as part of their Christmas celebrations, right? My niece, on the left, is posing with a four-wheeler, but my father was riding with her. Of course, there's a small, kid-sized four-wheeler that they can drive themselves.
Ada received many gifts. I wonder if she even remembers what it was like to survive on the streets of Miami.
Dinner was individual Beef Wellingtons and a Buche de Noel. I loved the Beef Wellington recipe, which could be assembled the day before. The individual puff pastry packets had so many delicious fillings (cheese, fresh spinach, caramelized onions, and portabella mushrooms), that I simply left the beef out of mine and it was still amazing.
The kids were entranced with the idea that mushrooms could be made of candy (i.e. meringue).
The kids decided to throw a tea party, with the good "crystal" and the fancy tea set. We were all invited, and it was very exclusive - you couldn't get in without presenting your written invitation.

I also used the Christmas break as a training exercise. I realized that I've been using "Renee Michelle" as my first name for over 15 years, and there were still members of my family that hadn't caught on. I'm happy to give a pass to relatives and friends who see me rarely, but the rest of my immediate family needed to figure this out. For three days, I either turned away or didn't acknowledge comments addressed to "Renee". If needed, I'd follow up with "Who is this Renee?" I tried to express lots of appreciation when they got my name right. Soon other family members were helping remind each other. I understand that it con be annoying when someone arbitrarily changes their nomenclature, so a big shout-out to my family for playing along so well.



2 comments:

Gill - UK said...

I was trained many years ago to use your name correctly - it suits you well.
I've never seen a Christmas log decorated with mushrooms before - the idea could catch on.

alexis said...

and the paper hats! Your Xmas seems to be a greatest hits of various European Xmas traditions.