Friday, January 06, 2017

Fixing things with physics

     This week I managed to fix something all by myself. That is, the internet helped, but for once I didn't need to ask my father. My microwave started arcing - a scary sight, I'll admit. I thought I'd have to replace the entire appliance, but some googling suggested that this can happen when an interior part (the waveguide cover, to be precise) is damaged and the sharp edges cause sparks. Although I could have ordered a replacement part, that would have been expensive. Instead, I found that you could buy sheets of mica, sold for exactly this purpose, that could be trimmed down to the exact size of cover needed by your microwave. Two days later, with some careful cutting and installation, I have a microwave that is working great. Cue the increase in self efficacy. Of course, I've felt kindly towards microwaves ever since I successfully explained how they work during my oral qualifying exam.
     The car, on the other hand, has been a drag on my happiness level. After many phone calls with my father, extensive consultations with online tire suppliers, calls to local junkyards and mechanics, I think I have a solution to my busted wheels. I first had to learn the difference between a wheel and a tire. Then I had to learn what size tire I had. (Do you know how to read the gibberish 180/ 60-R 15? Because now I can decipher that.) Then I had to figure out if anything could be repaired rather than replaced (Answer: the front wheel and tire need to be replaced but the back wheel and tire may be partially salvageable. I had to determine what kind of wheel I had (Answer: steel.) and what kinds they sold (Answer: mainly aluminum.) and learn about why no one would sell me a steel wheel, and also why I wasn't allowed to have both steel and aluminum wheels on my car at the same time, although I can choose either one as long as all four wheels match. Actually, I'm still not clear on that last one: the physics-y answer is that the moment of inertia of steel and aluminum are different, but I don't really understand how and when the differing moments of inertia will become a serious problem in car handling.

3 comments:

de-I said...

Sounds like you need to do an experiment combining aluminum and steel wheels...on someone else car...with someone else driving...you need to observe and measure...and maybe call the paramedics.

Gill - UK said...

Well done with the microwave. - just think how many microwaves get thrown out when they still have plenty of life left in them, if you have the capability of solving the problem - the planet says thank you

alexis said...

wow that is all way more than I know about cars. Or about my bike, my primary mode of transportation these days.

You should feel immensely proud of yourself about fixing the microwave, that is awesome! We haven't been as successful with our coffee machine.