Thursday, January 26, 2017

Visits to Ohio

     I've been traveling to Ohio often in the last few months so that I can spend time with my dad. This is particularly important to me right now so that I could accompany him for a few of his radiation treatments. Since work is busy right now, I arranged two shorter trips this month. I got back to DC last night, and I'll leave again in six days.
     Each weekday, my dad goes for treatment.. The hospital is 60 miles away, so the entire trip takes at least four hours each day. Most days, someone goes with him, mainly to keep him company on the trip. My father still has lots of energy, so after the two visits I went on, he headed out to a class or meet-up. I was exhausted from all the socializing he does, although I'm pretty he sure he thrives on it.
     So how does my family spend time together? We diagnosed and fixed another problem on my car (bad wheel bearings), argued about the state of modern science and medicine, started cutting out pieces for a vintage bathrobe, and did a marinara sauce tasting. That last one was my idea - my father had purchased different sauces so he could figure out whether the "expensive" sauces were worth it. I was convinced he wouldn't be able to spot the differences if he ate them over the course of several months, so I arranged a blind tasting. My parents agreed on which two were there favorites, and as payment I took home the two jars they liked the least. For my American readers, Classico Tomato Basil, the mid-priced contestant, was the winner,

2 comments:

de-I said...

I haven't done blind tastings that often but when I have results have always been interesting and not what one would expect.

alexis said...

I'm glad you're able to cover distance and spend time with your dad. I love that you share time together in such curious ways.

I also am thinking about it and I honestly cannot remember the last time I purchased tomato sauce. It is always something I make. Snob!