Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Putting the garden to bed

Although I took a month-long break from blogging, I now feel the need to catch up on all my projects of the fall. This is particularly pressing as I go on vacation this weekend, so everyone should expect many upcoming travel posts.

I've been busy getting the house and garden ready for winter, so I won't be surprised by the cold weather. I've stashed the rain barrels and hoses and anything else that might freeze, and I harvested the very last vegetable, sweet potatoes. I had an extra gardening project this fall, which was to remove some side garden beds.  I suspect that when the previous owner put them in, decades ago, they weren't as shaded by the trees as they are now. I grew tired of soil that produced verdant weeds but spindly vegetables. 
The beds, lushly growing with weeds and unproductive vegetables. 


 Removing the meter-long iron rebar. A friend had the brilliant idea of using a car jack to wrench them out of the ground, and with his help, I got them out in an afternoon.
 Smooth, seeded dirt.
Done. The regrowing wasn't terrific - this fall we had so much rain that the seeds kept getting washed away. But I'm firmly of the "if it's green and I mow it, it's lawn" camp, so I'm not too fussed about the mix of grass and weeds.

4 comments:

de-I said...

Or move to an area where they consider lawns a bad use of water and never mow again!

Gill - UK said...

During the great summer drought of 2018 (UK) - we had the greenest 'lawn' in the neighbourhood - of course the green was our plentiful supply of weeds.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Gill, that's the sort of environmentally-friendly lawn plant choice that I can support!

alexis said...

Super impressed you got rid of that side garden! I am down with green = lawn.