Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Computer woes

I'm having computer problems, again. After the massive rebuild, my machine hummed along happily for a few weeks, but now is suffered what has been deemed a terminal illness. It is much worse, I think, to lose a work computer than to lose a home computer. I tend to back up most of the stuff I care about, which at home means photos of my family and friends, and at work means videos of students doing physics. But it's really lowering my efficiency to not have all my documents and articles and notes easily accessible at work. For right now I've borrowed a laptop, but it's not available all the time, so we (i.e. me and my advisors) will have to figure out a better solution for the longer term.

But enough grousing. Let me tell you about my wonderful weekend. We went camping with three other couples. There was a bit of hiking and canoeing (not by me, of course, because I just sat at the campsite and read all day) and much socializing and eating. The weather was quite cool, but bearable with two layers of long underwear. And having some time away, even though it was only two days, was a nice break between the end of the spring semester and the start of the summer semester. I don't think we'll go to the Pennsylvania State Parks again, though, because they have a no alcohol policy, and really, what's the point of camping if you can't sip some whisky after dinner?

I finished grading student exams yesterday, so now I have a whole three and a half months stretching before me that can be filled up with just research. I'm working on two different projects this summer, one which focuses on Teaching Assistants and one that focuses on introductory physics students. I'm going to two conferences, one in Maine and one in North Carolina, where I will present a total of three posters and give two (short) talks. I need to write two papers and, of course, have a lot of brilliant ideas, but those are awfully hard to schedule in.

What are your big summer plans?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I totally empathize with the computer woes as my old one crashed twice in four months. But now I have my new MAC and I am happily functional again.

No big plans for the summer except that I might cut back on my business travel schedule since airfare shoots up so much in the summer.

Maine - too bad you don't eat lobster because the price/quality quotient there is not to be believed.

PA State Parks - No whiskey sipping! Boooooo. Of course that's why hip flasks were invented.

alexis said...

woah woah woah. There is no way I am camping unless I can be assured there will be booze to drink away the insect bites I am sure to get.

Summer plans... next week to the US for wedding and gpa visit. In July to Paris to visit a family friend. Kayaking, moving apartments, and hopefully at least one or two trips to eastern Europe, depending on the availabilty of flights.

Also going to try to finish 1 big art project.

stef said...

I can't wait to read about all your summer adventures!. Husband and I head out for our child-free european extravaganza June 1 and after that...looks like a whole lot of empty time. I haven't mentioned it to your parents yet, but I hope to squeeze an Ohio trip in there somewhere....