Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A wonderfully boring weekend

I had a great Memorial Day weekend, and did not a lick of work. We went and saw Prairie Home Companion. (In this case, "saw" is just an expression - we only had a view of the stage if we stood up.) I've grown up listening to this show, and I love going to see it live. It's not as if it's wildly different than listening to it on the radio, but somehow just sitting there, with no dinner to put on the table, and nowhere else to be, allows you to just focus on the stories and songs.

We also went thrift shopping, and purchased a kitchen table for our new place. The new place, as you recall, is tiny, tiny, tiny. So I'm hoping this will fit it. It's perfect for two people on a daily basis:




Then, when we have guests, you can pull up both sides and it expands to allow six or eight to sit comfortably:



And if you're going to invite an entire soccer team to dinner, it expands even more:


You'll have to imagine the leaves we'd put in the middle for now, since we'll have to make them.

I'm excited - it was a good deal and solid wood and Andrew is willing to let me paint it. Now to look for some matching chairs...

5 comments:

stef said...

I think that table will ook great with a coat of paint. And it's been a while since we saw a Styling w/RM video special! ;)

Anonymous said...

I love any piece of furniture that has that type of flexibility...not to mention any analogies alluding to soccer!

Anonymous said...

Weeks ago you were organising the rescue of neglected trees. Now you are considering painting over the natural beauty of a solid wood table. Surely you should be stripping off the layers of varnish to reveal even more of the natural beauty of the material. La donna e mobile.

Anonymous said...

I am considering just refinishing the table. But if the chairs I get are a different type of wood, refinishing them will simply highlight that difference. So it all depends on the chairs. (And, for the record, I am still saving trees, as I am recycling a wooden table :)

Anonymous said...

Oops! I didn't mean to call into question your 'arborosity'. Wood grain beats paint every time for me.
You could always cover the chairs with natural colour throws if the woods don't match. Enough advice... I'll go back to marking.