Monday, March 04, 2013

Church tea

I attended a tea on Saturday, put on as a fundraiser by a committee in my church. Everyone came dressed up in hats and long skirts because the theme was the Victorian era. Somehow I missed that part of the announcement, though, so I came dressed in a circle skirt and crinolines, in my typical mid-century style (and thus missed the mark by 60 years). I still had a great time, pouring tea for people and nibbling cheese sandwiches. They also presented a program, including some early twentieth-century songs and some historical pieces on women who were leaders in the congregation in the past.

While I sat there, I thought how nice it is that some things don't change very much. I do a lot of work that couldn't have been done 50 years ago, like analyzing video and writing emails. Moreover, I wouldn't have been able to work as a scientist or researcher 50 years ago, because women didn't do that. But community programs, with the little sound snafus, slightly-too-long lectures, and trays of homemade goodies, have been almost exactly the same for a long time. That's kind of comforting.

4 comments:

alexis said...

that's a lovely thought! Shame you missed something akin to a costume party though. :)

de-I said...

...and they should have had proper scones, clotted cream, and strawberry jam!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gill - UK said...

Somehow I missed that part of the announcement! My own excuse - I had my mind on higher things.