Friday, March 08, 2013

Cold

It's been cold in Miami this week. That is, it's been cold by Miami standards, which means 60s in the day and 50s at night (10-15C). When you've come here from points north, it's amusing to see people wearing parkas or big boots on days like this. I can remember a time not too long ago when I thought a winter day in the 60s was a rare treat. But I also have some sympathy. I don't know of any buildings that have heaters here; when it's cold, the most you can do is turn off the air conditioner. Most houses are poorly insulated, and lots of people don't have very warm clothing. (I've put all my winter clothes in storage, for example.)

In a weird way, I'm grateful that I'm so cold right now. This is a sign that I've acclimated to Miami temperatures, and I'd much prefer to be consistently comfortable in the 90F heat (32 C) and shiver a bit when it gets cool. But I'll still smile a bit when I'm leaving a concert and see parents pick up their children, wrap them in blankets, and carry them to the car to keep them from getting too cold when it's 55F degrees.

2 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Why not invest in survival blankets? They look like cooking foil, but are flexible and very lightweight. You could wear them like a cloak when it gets too cold in Miami.

alexis said...

I love that image of the children - so sweet. Especially having lived in the north for so long.